We are so grateful for the support everyone has shown for the Birthday Boxes. In order to make it easy for those who want to donate items to the box, we’ve created an Amazon Wish List.
If you’d prefer to shop for items to donate for the boxes, here is a shopping list (and some helpful guidelines for what works in the boxes and what doesn’t):
- 1 Box of Cake Mix (16 ounce)
- 1 Container of Pre-made Icing (12 to 16 ounce)
- Party Plates (Dessert-sized; package of 8)
- Party Napkins (Beverage-size; package of 16)
- Other party decorations (e.g. a party banner or table covering)
- Small Gifts
- Grocery Card ($20)
In addition to these basic items, Brooke It Forward Foundation adds several items, including – a birthday card, an ice cream scoop, custom cake/ice cream sprinkles, and miscellaneous treats and toys to ensure that the box has a “wow factor” for the child receiving it.
All of the items are packaged in a custom box designed to look like a wrapped present!
As you shop for items, two things are super important: age ranges and the size of the items.
We gear the boxes towards one of three age groups: 8 years and younger; 9 to 12; or 13 to 18. As you curate items for a box, keep these age groups in mind choosing the theme for the party supplies and the gifts.
The festive box in which we package the items is a good size (8.5″ x 12″ x 4″). You’d be surprised how much fun one of the boxes can contain provided that all of the items are sized appropriately. Large plates and dinner-sized napkins simply won’t fit. The same goes for bulk packages.
So – what sorts of gifts/treats work in the boxes?
- Travel-sized games
- Card games
- Spa items (e.g. face masks; make-up sponges; loofahs)
- Stuffed animals
- Small containers of clay/craft dough
- Sensory toys (e.g. squishys, fidget spinners, pop-its)
- Socks (the fun kind; not the white gym kind)
- Ring Pops, Gummy Bears, Airheads (similar treats that are individually-packaged)
At the end of the day – the goal is to make the boxes FUN!
Regardless of what ultimately ends up in the boxes, the most important thing is that a child is reminded that they matter and that the world is blessed because they are a part of it!